Saturday, June 6, 2009

"Welcome to Africa life!"

This morning I woke up late to a breakfast I could not stomach so it ended up in a tissue paper wrapper and found its way to the trash. However this changed quickly when my host mother was found outside wanting to talk to us. We spoke about so many things and she had us help her make fried yams. Doesn't look like I'll be loosing any weight here (yiayia, i know you like to hear that :)) She told us all about her past. She is truly an amazing woman. We call her big mama. This doesn't just describe her stature but her smile. She is responsible for over 350 orphan children having places to stay. Yet, she says it as if its no huge thing. It is what the lord wants. She has had so many trials. But she is the most happy, joyful and down to earth woman. She talks about Jesus like a friend. Says one must just let some things go to God. And means it. She holds no grudges against those who wronged her. I am learning so much. I feel different here in a way that is completely enlightening. My senses seem more keen. My heart at peace. The earth seems more alive here. The music less grinding. The smiles more genuine. I love Ghana.

I have seen huts made of dried tree and houses with tiled floor. Yet the people were the same. Always kind. On our introduction Mr. Hii spoke of Jesus and God in a way I will never forget. He spoke of how visitors are Gods. Jesus was the ultimate visitor he said, the almighty God. He spoke of pure things i have heard from every zealot but for the first time, i bought that he actually genuinly loved and believed it all, for no alterior motives. I saw its reprecussions, I saw it in reality. The people are kind out of goodness, and a desire to be like Jesus. They are so pure in their faith here. I go to church tomorrow and hope to wear the traditional clothes. Regardless of how i feel about it all, for the first time in so long I feel awakened and happy at the sight of intense regligious beliefs. It gives them hope, and the way they are about it is beautiful.

It is hard for me to write everything I am feeling. My emotions and thoughts run at the speed of light. I am learning, thinking, experiencing so much.I feel cleansed. More awake. It is hard to filter it all.

There are so many things happening. So much to write. This morning alone was an adventure. I met my host mothers biological son who fancies americans and somehow found myself with vicky, him and her in a taxi with our PJ's on which are not Ghana appropriate (shorts with deffinetly warrent looks as if you are from outer space) and then we took a shower, or rather harsh drip, shower. This was a little less fun than the shower we took in the dark, vicky standing across from me holding the flashlight on my bare toosh. That girl will be at my wedding. :). Talk about being comfortable in hillariously uncomfortable situations. I have been asked to marry often, which also turns into a joke. I say I am married, oh, and my phone only works internationally so getting my number for Ghana use would not be worth it. Hah, you learn to lie fast in these situations. They mean nothing wrong by it. They see the skin and hear the accent and many are eager to see America. I have never felt like these men meant any harm or were advancing on me. It is always a fit of giggles and an huge "WE SHOULD MARRY! YES?!" My mother's high school ring has served as my wedding ring. It's all in good fun.

I dont even know where to begin! I am so spacey right now, trying to talk via facebook with friends, think of what the most important things from my journal are. I will get caught up. For now though, I think I will end by saying I am having the time of my life, sleeping under vicky's moscito net, or really just having fits of laughter and naming it "kofi" because it (the net) was born (set up) on a friday (the day you were born is part of your name, it holds much traditional signifigance). Having fun being treated like aliens and embracing the awkward, at times feeling like an artifact and other time feeling like I am home. I can't say enough how much I feel people should visit. Africa is an amazing, wonderful place. Ghana is the perfect spot to learn this, her people pride themselves on being free, friendly and the perfect introduction to Africa. They should. Akwaaba.

I am off to buy my Smirnoff Ice and sit with friends at The White House soon. I can't get over how happy I am all the time. It is always an adventure, even having to pee can become a huge expidition, and I am loving every single minute of it. I can't wait to have time to write it all down here for all of you to read, but for now my journal soaks up my poetry and thoughts, my camera what it can, and my mind is fluttering with ideas and gawking at all the things I am learning and trying to take in at once.

I love you all.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (deleted last comment it was just a tester to make sure i didn't type 4297497 pages and have it get erased like on vicky's haha)

    But yes, it's me. :) Your third musketeer :)

    I get lost in your writing. I feel like i'm there. I feel the heat, i feel the humidity, i feel like i'm looking into your eyes and seeing fear, hope, admiration, joy.... CONTENT.
    I miss you every single day.
    As much as i want you here, i want you there even more badly. That is where you belong... you're feeding the hunger inside you to BE THE CHANGE WE ALL SHOULD BE.
    I was telling vicky.. there's not many friends, if any, that i can say i'm truly proud of; whom i sincerely cherish as friends. You have so much to be proud of.. you've inspired me to do more.
    I'm so happy to hear how joyous you are!!!! It's such a relief... but i can't say i was ever worried. I knew it was totally you. I can feel the happiness in every stroke of the keys you make.
    I anticipate your every detail of Africa. Until now, these entries will quench my thirst but damn Bekka, i long for our starbucks coffee days/nights of hearing every goddamn detail of your journey.

    God bless.
    You're amazing.

    <3 shwetha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading this. Keep writing as vividly and vulnerably as possible, even though I'm sure your fingers end up tiring. Give Vicky a bear hug for me, make it a little too long. I love you and am so happy for you to be experiencing such crazy things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello love. You're so cute! Ahhhh I'm so happy for you! I love reading about your adventures. Nick and I are hanging with Chip tonight, I'll be sure to give him a hug for you. :)

    Call me whenever you can sweetheart, I'd love to hear yer voice. <3

    <3yourjess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey B!
    You're in Africa! Can you believe it? I am filled with an unbound amount of excitement for you! Keep the stories coming, I can't tell you how happy I am you are following your dream :)
    Miss you tons!
    - The Other B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to all of you, all your comments combined made my cry. I miss all of you you are so beautiful in every way! MUCH LOVE MANY HUGS!! and from the bottom of my heart, Akpeh (thankyou) for being such amazing friends.

    ReplyDelete