Friday, June 5, 2009

Mma ajo! (Good evening) from Ghana!

I made it.
The trip here was a long one. Our flight had to turn around and we got delayed a long while but we made it. Boy, was it worth the wait.
The moment I got off the plane my heart started to pound. Africa. I really made it. The air was a thick warm musk of comfort. The horizon sighed "you made it" It was four a.m Ghana time and I was finally here.

When I arrived the military uniforms made my insides lace with a quick fear but I literally cried out of happiness when it hit me. When we met Nyammi he was the nicest man I thought I had ever met. That would change, because everyone here seems like the nicest person in the world. Because they truly are amazing here.

The humidity sticks to you like glue.
Dear Arizona, If you think you know heat - go to Ghana.
The people here are gorgeous. They walk with such confidence. So striking with their many colors, almond eyes and wide smiles. They are beautiful.

On our way out of Accra (the capitol) to get to my host family's house we had a three hour ride in a tro-tro, a type of van. Stuffed with people and ragae beats my heart was so at peace. My eyes tired but failing to fully sleep, there was so much to take in. I have never seen what "tropical" was untill now. I wrote as I watched,
The green belly swells up and ripples outward.
God never forgot Africa, it was She who He remembered first.
I've never seen such organic life. The green is tastable. It screams at you, it caresses you. Seducing you into her Africa is the holder of truths burried deep into mother nature's history.

How dare she be called the dark continent. The colors here are glorious. They drip off of everything in sheer brillance. The land sings art. Inspires the senses. Awakens the iris that has been stuck in sameness for so long.

Today I awoke at dawn to roosters and my host mother (who is the most beautiful woman, so inviting, so amazing, I feel at home.) I feel awake despite the hours of sleep. I feel energized by her tea and white bread and jam breakfasts. I can't wait to start my days. There are no mirrors here. I adore it. Make up is obsolete. Even if i wanted it I would sweat it all off. The only way I can judge how I look is from the neck down. A birds eye view. It is entirely liberating.

I miss home for it's people it cradles. I miss my mother and family. I miss friends. But these feeling of homesickness have not attached themselves to me. I am far too excited to be here to miss comforts of home. Im sure this will change. I am also sure I will long so deeply for Ghana after I come back to the states. The people are irresitable, warm, inviting.

I have met the other volunteers and love them already. We go out for beers and minerals (soda) each night about and talk. Today I was shown around the town. The market was skattered with life. Children run up and ask to touch your skin. I've never stood out so much, and it is humbling. Mr. Hii was our tour guide today, catering to us in so many ways. I cannot wait to see him again. Projects Abroad has thought of our every need. I feel safe, I know so many details I otherwise wouldn't and they are constantly concerned with our happiness, making sure we feel at home.

I go to the orphanage come monday. I am more than excited. I cannot wait to be called "Yevu" (white person) and laugh with the beautiful children there. I will write all about it when I get the chance.

As for other details.
I can recieve mail, the postal address to use if you wish to do so is

Rebecca Christ
c/o Projects Abroad
P.O. Box 1341
Ho
Volta Region
Ghana

Also, I got a cell phone for use while here. Text messaging me should not cost you much if you would like a phone call let me know, it is very cheap for me to do so.
00233 0542528724

I hope to update again soon. This internet cafe is fast, cheap and of course, as always, friendly. The manager here, "Fortune", is kind and I'm sure us volunteers will give him a bunch of buisness. :) I love all of you, be sure not so worry, I am more than safe, I am happy. Which, a wise man (Mr.Hii) once told me it is better than "luxury living". He said good health, moral code and happiness are the keys to luxury. Not warm showers or blackberry phones. And guess what. He's right.

2 comments:

  1. Hello love.

    I just tried to text you so I hope it works. I love you and miss you but I know you're having the time of your life. I can't wait to read more!

    Always,
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i am going to figure out this text shit but no i didnt get it. i love you so much. i love it here! off to write more! muah!

    -your bek

    ReplyDelete