Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fan Ice and Pepsi are a girls best friend. Internet connections are not.

So it goes, Vicky would say.

I just wrote an entire blog entry and the internet failed before I published it so instead of trying to recreate it i will do a short update :).

First. Thank you to all of you for your comments, emails and what not you have been encouraging me with. You do not know how much this means to me to hear such wonderful things from the ones I love.

Today at the orphanage was amazing, I feel this too will be a constant while here. We took pictures and played with the kids. We also took them to get registered for health insurance, which is quite nice. Also, we are having a medical Projects Abroad volunteer come tuesday to help diagnose some of the kids and get treatment for them, seeing as how this is a new orphanage such things have not been provided. Most of the kids, if not all, have ringworm, so I look forward to getting it myself. Haha, it's no big deal, and I would gladly play with the kids and accept my ringwormed fate than not play any day.

Big mama made us fried plantains and fried chicken today for lunch. She packs it in a basket with hello kitty plates and spoons with the words I love you engraved in them. I simply adore her.

When I come back to the states I look forward to helping the Drifting Angels orphanage from home, gathering donations and seeing where they need it most. Working first hand with an establishment as it gets built up is incredibly rewarding. I love every minute of it. The children are so bright (in fact, that's one of their names. Ghanaian people often have names such as this, or Perfect, Gifted, Peace and so on, it's beautiful.) they are bursting with a want to show me how they can read, what they can draw, holding my hand and climbing on vicky and I as if we were trees. I love to see them flourish, their different personalities sprouting in every direction. It is so rewarding each day to see them smile and wave as we come over the hill and down to them.

Afterward Vicky and I went to the market and got the closest thing to yogurt/ice cream called fan ice and we found Pepsi. Damn. How pleasing. :) Anyhow I am going to wrap it up seeing as how my hands are tired from writing this and more before. But know that all is well, I think of each of you, even the distant ones I have not talked to in way too long, so much. I think of home and how many comforts we are spoiled with. I think of how beautiful all of you are, and miss you often. But I can't help being wrapped up in Ghana life, loving every minute, no matter how uncomfortable it may be at times. I look forward to bringing pieces of it back home with me. :)

I love you all.

2 comments:

  1. i had ringworm - its itchy but it's not that bad unless you get it everywhere. kids are totally worth it. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, dear, it's good to hear that the one and only thing that scared you about africa life was parasites/worms.... and apparently you've overcome that. :) So, props to you pretty lady. Love you.

    <3yourjess

    ReplyDelete