Monday, July 6, 2009

I hope you get where you are going and be happy when you do.

In about 6 hours I will be sitting in the airport, wasting time until my journey of two long flights and a layover begin, all to end with seeing my beautiful family, the desert, and olive garden.

I am ready for home. I miss it. But this feeling of readiness has only come on in these last couple days. I have had several moments where I feel like I am slipping away from something. Becoming aware of how scary home will feel. I spent my home country's birthday at a pool called Freedom reading On the Road in Ghana with a boy who just wants to help and is too scarred to go for it and screw his business degree (Jeff, our two day long host brother, we helped him get acquainted and then we took off, good luck jeff.) and a girl I never thought I would be so close with. I love it here. I realized on the 4th how accustom I had become to it all. I also realized how strange America would taste. There were the most white people I had seen in 5 weeks at the pool that day and it gave me anxiety, it was strange to hear their loud English, their slang and American ways. However I know home will be amazing, even if it is shocking and scary at first. My last fufu for a long time was on the fourth and on sunday I said my goodbyes, threw the last things in my bag, kissed each of those beautiful kids head's and walked down that dirt path to the station one last time (for a while at least) and tried so hard to hang on. Like Kerouac said in his book, when saying goodbye they turned at 12 paces and looked back at one another, for love is a duel. I lost. I ran back to hug Aunties scared body one last time and scream MELOO WOE!!! waving tirelessly, wanting to have them down the street from me at home. So we got to the Tro station, it filled, we said goodbye to the ever loving Mr.Hii and sailed away with Fan Ice in hand. Goodbye for now, dear Volta Region.

Then Accra came. It scarred us like hell at first. I wanted my mothers arms, the igloo, or just to go back to Ho and eat rice at Big Mama's again. We found our self in Osu, a very western like area in Accra (most places in Accra are that way, it is the city, and it is developed, and not what I know to be Ghana) It is a strange mix of the western world and Ghana and to me felt like neither which was unnerving and down right strange. After being told we couldn't get a room together because we were the same sex we found a place with a cheese croissant. CHEESE croissant. and.... ICE CREAM. REAL LIFE ICE CREAM IN A CONE. I have never Ever been more satisfied with taste as I was with that. You cannot know true love of ice cream until you go 5 weeks with no milk products. Never again will I underestimate the beauty of ice cream, in a cone. Our stomachs did not take it well but damn was it worth it. The city was making our souls scream for something we could know, whether it be home or Ho. We sat on the curb in silence. Both of us in our own worlds, a couple comments now and then. We wrote a list of ailments we cant explain from Africa. We tried to laugh. But really we were just so damn homesick. But then a random Rasta man that was Muslim and an artist came up to try to sell his stuff to us. He ended up sitting and talking with us and I got a painting from him. I will use this painting as a remembrance to never hate any experience no matter how uncomfortable because it teaches you. And that is all that matters. Rasta painter man was a sign from God Herself saying "Hey. Shut the hell up. You are going home soon. Soak this up. Stop being down. Have the best day of your life." So we did. Smiles turned up we laughed and shook hands with other friends of his, all along claiming we were married and then found our self in an asian restaurant from heaven called Tip Top cafe. It was a spiritual experience. I had the best asian food I have ever had in my entire life. No exaggeration. One word sums up yesterday. Serendipity.

Home is so soon and I can feel that breathless heat of my home encase me when I come off that plane. I can see my mothers little body approaching me for a hug. My fathers smile and my brother calling me "dirt". I can feel my heart race at the thought of olive garden and the jump in my stomach I will have when I reach my pine covered new home and see my first ever apartment. I can't believe how blessed I am. I am so excited for whatever else life has in store, i cannot wait to go out and explore every inch of what it has to offer, anyone in with me?

I love you all. I will see you soon. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm in with you! I have a training in Seattle but I'll be back on the 16th & can't wait to see you :)

    ReplyDelete